Sunday, September 5, 2010

Day 67: Theory vs. Reality

Since the plumbing rough in is finished up and we have water where we need it, it was time to get back to working on some stuff that Mary and others can see!!! New supply lines throughout the house don't really have the wow factor of stuff that most people care about. For me I will be smiling for a long time whenever I turn a faucet on or showering and knowing exactly where the water is coming from and how it was put together. I guess that's just part of being a dork/engineer.

On to the bathroom revamp. First order of business is to make a bigger mess!! Not really, but of course my plans didn't really match up with what I ended up doing (theory vs. reality). Good news is that the end result is a new light switch in place, the GFCI outlet has been relocated to the same terminal box with the light switch, wires have been run for the two wall sconces on either side of the mirror, and an additional wire is laid to be used with the exhaust fan to be added later and controlled at the same terminal box as the light and GFCI outlet. I was really hoping to minimize dry wall patching and be creative by working through the old GFCI outlet hole and the hole left by removing the medicine cabinet (theory). What I ended up doing was starting at the GFCI outlet hole and then cutting into the wall about 18 inches laterally to get through 1 stud and then doing some creative drilling to make a 90 degree turn through some serious 2x4 stack ups and snaking wire to where the original light switch is (reality). I had multiple ideas on how to get it there that did not involve a new hole in the wall but I couldn't bring them to fruition. :|

The bathroom currently does not have a vanity or toilet in place,the tile walls and floor were scrubbed by Mr. Clean and myself in preparation for bead-board and trim. Soon, very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment